Social Icons

My Personal Style

Friday, August 12, 2016


It has taken me a very long time to figure out my personal style. I believe my journey started shortly after I began sixth grade when I decided knee high socks and basketball shorts were no longer acceptable for everyday wear. I remember looking up to my now sister in-law envious of her style and bravery to wear whatever she wanted (even though she thought she was full blood Native American at the time).  What I wear has evolved a lot over the past eight years. Starting with Aeropostale t-shirts everyday in middle school, if you are between the ages of 17 and 22 I am sure you remember this, then there was the dress phase I had in the early high school years. At some point in high school I figured out that I didn't want to dress like everyone else, I wanted what I wore to show who I was. What was in style no longer appealed to me, not that their is anything wrong with what everyone else was wearing it just wasn't me. When I was younger I would alway tell my mom when we were shopping she already owned four grey shirts just like the one she wanted. Well strangely enough these roles have completely switched. My roommate is constantly reminding me how much grey I own and that I rarely ever wear color, and if I do its only just a little bit. I am totally okay with this, and as quirky as this sounds my outfits totally reflect who I am as a person.

I want to stress on point though, appearance is not everything.  You do not have to look perfect or dress a certain way to have other people like you. It truly is what is on the inside that matters, it is the ideas and passions we have that are important. One amazing thing about style though is it's ability to give confidence to someone. I can't speak for everyone but when I am wearing something that I feel pretty in I am a much happier person, I am more outgoing, and I feel like my best self. I think everyone should feel confident in their own body and personally I think that having your own style can encourage that sort of confidence. Another thing that is important to me is dressing for comfort. If I do not psychical feeling comfortable in something then I will not wear it. Part of this for me has been dressing for myself, regardless of what other people think about it. I remember in high school I wore a lot of legging just because that is what I felt comfortable and pretty in. I had many "friends" that thought this wasn't acceptable, but I did what worked best for me. 

I own lots of leggings. I only wear jeans from gap and they have to be. Recently I have been obsessed with two pieces. I love the convenience of rompers. Dresses in the winter with tights are my favorite. My shirts are all pretty much plain, neutral colors and fit loosely. I love coats and scarfs in the winter because I hate being cold. All my shoes are brown. I normally can be found in either my grey sweater or a flannel. I don't wear a lot of jewelry but I love rings and won't be caught dead without mine.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!